TV #249 Feedback

Pyre

Re: TV #249 Feedback

Hereditary. I really dug the focus on Bellator here. Everything they said, the masks, all of it painted a really strong picture that capped off with the Inheritor line. Sanctus has quite a legacy behind him, no pun intended, and this segment used the zombie story to really bring that out. Great stuff here.

Can I say the overall undead story? These old characters showing up in this fashion, not to speak of the overall world impact, has brought out some old feelings from characters. It's a way to focus on where we've been while pushing where we are going. The Terrors have had quite an impact on the OSW landscape during this season, and I am curious as to how Sigil (or anyone) is going to be able to truly stop them

I'll go with the World title match here. I love seeing the Snakes interfere in Viper's matches because it adds a different element than the 1:1 combat. It also creates the opportunity for drama in the future when Viper is forced into a spot where he can't have any help from them. Either way, phenomenal match that I enjoyed very much!

I'll go with Sigil, as it seems I'm doing often. The Collector is the star of this volume, I'd say. He's the guy that everything revolves around. He's convinced everyone for right now about what is happening, but I have to wonder when the turn comes if he'll sell them all out. No wondering, actually. He'll defo do it. Darby Sorrow returning is a close second. Guy's story becomes even more tragic, since he finally got to die but he's been raised from the peace.

Storm - Brother Eddie ain't gonna stop, is he? The best thing about this seg is that it ends with some ambiguity. No one happened to state what the "right thing" is. Is Luke going to try to kill his already-dead brother? Or is he going to try to save him? Somehow. Lots of curiosities here in this story.

Pyre - Okay, Alice's head falling off like that was amazing. Pop of the show for me. Loved the seggie here with Pyre and Banzan being forced to kind of work together due to Alice relentlessly pursuing them.

Simon

A lot of really good segments here, but I'm actually gonna go with "ABANDON" here. You have Pirate Gold's search coming to a close, if only because of Israel's crew getting to them! The bit about the black spot mark is a curious development, the idea of Grimwolf being cursed because he actually survived the event that befell his crew makes me wonder what will happen come Lost Tapes.

The world title storyline gets a nod here, but as I'll be talking about that later I also really wanna give a shout to Moody/Renault. This story has quickly garnered some much-needed heat, with this week's tension really bringing things to a boiling point. The confrontation within a church was neat, and I can't wait to see what happens next!

I gotta go with the main event here, which was preceded by that really fun segment to help establish the disadvantage that the champ found himself in at the start. It was a neat change of pace after seeing Viper have some form of advantage in previous situations, but the Snake manages to retain his title in a hard-fought battle against the Dream Demon!

I'm gonna go slightly out of left field here and say Sir Renault, for reasons that boil down to two key things: he really held his ground against Phineas Moody in that confrontation I mentioned earlier, AND he beat Sigil, a man that is not easy to beat! Good on ya, Renault.

What a ride this story's been so far, huh? Something that's just come to mind as I was working on feedback is the fact that all four of these guys are good at some form of manipulation to get what they want, and it's fun as hell to see them trying to use those skills against each other throughout the night.

As far as Simon goes, I love that he was NOT having any of Sandman's nightmare tricks, but there's something about realizing his own mortality that shakes him ever so slightly, and it's nice to see that moment of weakness in a guy that normally "has it all figured out." Great stuff here, and I can't wait to see what happens at Lost Tapes!

I think we've reached the point where all storylines and feuds are firing on all cylinders, topped with some excellent matches all around and you have yourself a 5-star go-home for Lost Tapes!

Deathnote

I've really enjoyed all the stuff caused by The Returned, but more specifically, Nygma coming back to haunt an already emotional roller coaster as of late in Luke Storm. This is massive, and I feel that by the end of it we may just see a full breakdown from Luke Storm. What that entails remains a mystery, but I'm here for it either way.

I gotta go with everything surrounding The Returned. The return of a lot of these characters that have been killed off has been done beautifully. It's interesting to see how each character that has returned reacts to those who they were once connected to. I'm really enjoying everything this week and think this was a solid build up to Lost Tapes II!

It's definitely the Main Event. Viper Roberts is coming into a strong champion here and a statement win this week proves that point even further. This was a classic match between Champion and former Champion. Strong bout from both guys here sees Viper retain!

Here, I was a bit inclined to go with The Sandman for his shere involvement in the night, but that was quickly thwarted by a very game World Champion. Viper Roberts solidifies another victory, this one almost a statement victory in my opinion.

I've enjoyed the interaction between CXDY and Corvus here. CXDY seems to be a troubled man fighting against his own failure more so than fighting to restore his honor. The reappearance of Tyler Brooks has not seemed to help him on his fight by any means. I'm really looking forward to Lost Tapes II and I really enjoyed writing a story for Brooks once more. It's been great seeing Tyler live once more, even if just for a short time.

Delete where applicable, leaving just one.

Solid go home show, I really, really enjoyed all the segments.
The Impaler

“THE CONSPIRACY IS REAL”

Fuck it, I'll say it here. I loved this because it perfectly set up the ToyBox Rematch with Rune and SeeSaw (formerly Andy). The only thing is, it seems to be on equal footing with Rune's new... affliction. I love this because it means that I get to listen to and read another fantastic goddamn ToyBox match and to me that is what drives this to my number one segment. Plus overall the segment has me believing... just maybe the conspiracy is real.

The build to the fatal four way for the Championship. Objectively, I like the four characters involved. Plus, I never tire of the Sandman's mind games. The way everything tied together tonight, puts me at the edge of my seat for the fatal four way this weekend. On top of that the way the final segment of this story transitioned into the Main Event was a stroke of awesome.

I have to say the Main from the way it carried on from the segment before it. Then just how brutal it was and how much neither person gave an inch. It gives me the vibes of, "these dudes just went through a fucking war now what do they have left for the next war just days away". Roberts doing everything in his power to retain and Sandman. The Viper trying to get an advantage by using his vipers only to have Sandman turn the tables with the red sand, love it, loved this match.

Even though he lost in the Main Event, I have to say Sandman. Just the way he was manipulating everyone of his opponents and fucking with their minds. I loved every bit of it, the mind games and psychological Kruger-esque way he plays people.

I absolutely loved Royal's group realizing they need to trust each other for the sake of their own beings. However, what got me the most excited and I am waiting with baited fucking breath on this one WHAT THE FUCK was Impaler doing stalking Bellator! I thought that feud had ended (not that I am complaining far from it) how is this going to escalate from here? What's going to happen, I am so excited with that one development.

Fucking banger of show.

Voynich

I'm going with the only segment that is not related to the Returned, Crucifixion. I love both Moody and Renault and I think they're a perfect fit as they're both relatively new characters. Moddy comes off as a scary motherfucker, but I like how Renault actually stood up to him and dared him to accept a Crucifixion match. That match is going to be a perfect opener for this weekend's show.

I'm just in love with what The Returned has done since his arrival in the Slaughterhouse. Halloween is one of my favorite time of the year and everything that happened since The Undead came back is just a perfect setup for The Lost Tapes II. Can't help but wonder how we're going to get rid of them. Is it by getting rid of The Returned himself?

Oh yeah I agree with everyone - that Main Event was dope. Gotta love it when there are multiple chair shots in a World Title match. I also really enjoyed Viper Roberts commanding his snakes to interfere, it's always nice to see something like that in a ME. Oh, and there's a goozle by the Sandman so... 5/5!

This episode really has Sigil written all over it. He opened and closed the show, which is always a great indicator of how important you are in a show. Sigil takes the lead in the war against The Undead, he really is a key character this season.

I think Voynich was perfectly portrayed in "We Believe". I mean, he's seen Sigil do some fucked up shit and he won't take any more of it. That's why it made sense for Voynich to be some kind of spokesperson for the roster, telling Sigil that if he lies again, or if he hides things, he's gonna have to deal with the whole roster.

I'm also very thrilled about that Collectors Edition versus Malice/Sorrow match. It's fun to see Malice and Sorrow back, especially knowing how things ended for both of them. Of course Voynich is stuck between them.

Sigil

I'm going with Sorrowful Night here. I know it's a segment I'm in but I just really enjoyed it. It makes sense for Sigil to be worried about his enemies, he got so many killed in different ways! Though I'm curious about this. Darby exploded into dust when he died, which I'm probably nitpicking. But also, Darby wanted to die. So I'm curious as to just how willing to fight he'll be.

Is it cheating to say The Returned as a whole? If so, I'm cheating. Every segment has just been awesome to me, and every character gets across perfectly for me. Old feuds literally digging themselves up from the grave is awesome and I feel like this can't get enough recognition for just how god damned cool it is.

Let's go... Banzan vs Corvus. I had a good bit of fun reading that one and felt like it was an excellent title match between the two of them. So kudos to the writer there.

So, I wanna go with Sandman here because of his being just all over the damn show. I feel like it's hard not to pick someone when they have such a grasp on the show's segments and seems to get around everywhere. So good on Sandman here, even if he didn't get his title back.

Sigil: I love how Sigil was portrayed here. He's trying to be some kind of locker room leader, and he needed Voynich on his side to get any kind of traction! At least, that's how it felt in the segments where he tried to warn everyone who rightfully didn't believe him.

Also, I'm excited for Sorrow to join Malice here. Really awesome addition to this feud. Even MORE excited for the one night return of Collector's Edition!

Darklord: I love how Darklord is portrayed in his segments, I just need to say that. Really interested in where this goes, though I can very well tell it's going to be Darklord vs Helvig, if only because of the distrust between them. Looking forward to my ass kicking!

Excellent lead into the PPV.

Jessie Williams

Tough one here but I'm going with Hereditary here if simply because there's a lot of potential here. While both Sanctus's father and uncle ended up on the side of good, there's definite evil in their past and while Sanctus took up the Bellator name, there's two sides to it. I can't remember exactly what happened to Father Pedro but this well could be the Grandfather come to give a different type of mask to the inheritor of the Bellator name. Could be well off but I feel like something big's coming for Sanctus so very intrigued to see what happens next here.

I've gotta go with the world title story here, Sandman doing his usual tricks and mind fucking everyone is a brilliant time always as the Dream Demon manipulates up there with the best of them for a great stopper before they all go head to head at Lost Tapes

Yeah, it's gotta be the world title match. I do love with how everyone writes, even if it's the same people in the main event, the matches always have different feels to them. Roberts used the snakes last time and this time, Sandman made him pay for it and Roberts only retained through the skin of his teeth. Loved someone using the sand (*shaking his fist at Sammy still not adding that to his mwa*) and overall, great main event that I definetly want to see more of.

Very tough here cause Sandman was all over the show but I think as far as impact, it's Sigil here. Dude's stepping up in the face of the Terrors which kinda feels reminscent of Scarecrow stepping up in the face of the Family and NOAH, just with a lot more distrust in Sigil's favor. The Collectors being built up to be the big hero of this series and although I doubt it'll last, it's very intriguing to see.

Very much into this whole feud here, Mordecai being involved just gives it that little something and the little touches here, from Jessie surprising Mordecai to the Prince clearly disapointed with his lack of action and answers. I'm not sure how it's going to go down at Lost Tapes but I'm not so sure it'll be a good ending...and fuck you ain't a Williams if you get happy endings so I'm down to see this go either way.

Great show here, amazing scenes and actions and made the wait for Lost Tapes II even more tantalizing.

Mordecai

I'm going to give this to Dead End?. Wordless segments are usually quite tough to pull off. Relying on movements and imagery alone to convey emotion and progress the story is something that only some of the best writers can accomplish. Fortunately, we happen to have quite a few of them in this game of ours.

The description of the scene before him was succint, yet allowed me to paint the picture in my head perfectly. His dilemma of wether or not to open the door was handled brilliantly as well with such a short word count. Being left to ponder if Roberts had either set a trap for Two Face or not really leaves the reader to wonder just what could've been on the other side. This was a wonderful read that took a risk and having it pay off tremendously.

I'm going to give this to the world title picture. Loved the direction headed here with Sandman messing with the minds of the champion and the other competitors. It's a simple story that was told, but it was one that I felt stole the whole show with how much focus it was given and the payoff it recieved in the end.

Gotta be the main. I loved seeing Sandman and Viper duke it out in such a brutal match. From the referee getting taken out of action early on to Robert's snakes ripping each other apart, I find myself coming back to read this match a lot when writing feedback and enjoying it every time. Well done to the matchwriter.

I'm going to give this to Sandman. Sure the dude didn't win his match, but the entire show was built around him getting into the minds of all of his opponents for Lost Tapes and just about succeeded in doing so. He managed to mindfuck Shaw into getting less sleep while the normally rational Simon and Viper get toyed with. Dude had a good night all around.

I'm sure this segment was supposed to chronologically occur before the events of Outrun. It might not really say it, but given that Mordecai and Sandy Rogers met face to face there, I'd figure he'd have an answer for Jessie at the ready if this came after the gauntlet match.

Anyways, the Gatekeeper was portrayed fine enough. He tried to calm a frightened Williams only to end up infuriating him with his lack of help. While Jessie might've come off as a bit of a brat towards the entity, the kid is right with the dream guardian being a bit too cocky for his own good. I'm sure we'll see him be humbled by the returning Rogers within the PPV.

Cael Gable

I think I'm going to give it to we believe here. It's kind of flipping one of our big bads into an antihero here. He's now the defacto leader against the terrors and even his old partner that he betrayed is willing to follow him if it means saving this place and people in it. I actually really like this switch and there is a sense of uneasy trust here which helps the story progress nicely. Also, Voynich showing the edge he's garnered since entering these doors and standing up for everyone was nice to see.

I'm really liking the Newton and Luke Storm saga. Seeing Luke who has been portrayed as Hollywood badass completely change when it comes to this story has been an interesting change of pace for the character. It feels more real than some other times I have seen Luke and I'm hoping something good comes out of this, at least some closure between the brothers. I'm hoping for it but I'm not counting on it.

I'm actually going to give this to Sigil vs Sir Renault here. I love David and Goliath style matches and this match did not disappoint in that department. Great storytelling, fast paced with smart cutoffs and great displays of strength. Well done, also Renault getting a pretty big win here and on the path to maybe becoming a big player after defeating a former world champ.

Sigil takes it for me here. He's gone from villain to hero in an arc that makes perfect sense to me. He's usually the guy who has his hand in multiple pots but this time, it's not for selfish reasons. He knows what's going on more than most and he's been established as OSW's last hope in a way this show.

Still loving this and I'm definitely liking the building up of the crew we're facing and the lore we found ourselves stuck in, everything from the crew being made out of sealife to the black mark we found ourselves stuck with. It's been a great story and while it's outside of the returned story, it definitely feels like a big story and one we're not going to get rid of by defeating a few crew members. This will be fun and I can't wait to see how it continues at the ppv.

The Sandman

WE BELIEVE - Really nice opener which sets the table and gets you up to speed ahead of Lost Tapes II. Voynich gets some shine from being the unofficial spokesman.

ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK - Action-packed, high-octane shit. Good emotion and verbiage all-round. I love that, even in these dire circumstances, with such a warped, reanimated Nygma, Luke is still ultimately loyal and loving to him, wanting only to end his unnatural suffering.

DEAD END? - Intriguing stuff. Two-Face remains true to himself, even in an exceptional situation. I like that he readily walks away, but as the question is posed, who knows what his plans are…

THE CONSPIRACY IS REAL - Awesome, natural direction in which to take this specific program. Rune really could be the first competitor to “survive” the Toy Box. Got a kick out of him rattling off increasingly unlikely scenarios.

ABANDON - Marking out for the sheer Cronenburg-like, slimy body-horror in this ‘un. Great, unexpected deviation with the thumbs and black marks. Curious as to where this will lead…

THE COURT - More gruesome, awesome action here. Fascinating to see a Darkness-influenced (are his effects weakening?) Banzan elect to save Pyre - though it’s quickly established they’re far from friends.

HIS FORETOLD DESTINY - Interesting character work for CXDY, flip-flopping between what he ought to do, and I dig Corvus’ cold, unflinching carelessness as to his plight. Stoked to see how this one plays out.

SORROWFUL NIGHT - Sweet bookend, and a reminder of the bitter histories between so many of the living, provoking the question of whether they can work together long enough to overcome the dead.

Selfishly, Sandman’s fingers in all the pies leading up to Lost Tapes II. He’s a versatile character that lends himself really well to these multi-man setups. I like that folks are wising up to his tricks, though.

Holy shit, dat main. Overbooked, Attitude-Era madness from start to finish. Friggin’ blood-venom, a one-count finisher, ref bumps, low blows, weapons, interference, RED SAND - every trope and the kitchen sink, too!

I was on the edge of my seat for the whole ride. Kudos!

Sigil - Possibly the most disliked member of the entire roster still manages to band them together in the fight against The Terrors.

Kickass, interweaving presence from Sandman tonight, tying together each challenger and presenting them with tailor-made experiences. As noted by others, I enjoyed the small touch of Metallica-themed segment titles.

OSW Champion x2

Return to “RATE THE SHOW”